Kontroga, formerly Krondernburg or Krodanga, is Antigo's largest city and the capital of the duchy of Kontroga. It has been established since the 6th century AD by King Mark Dagermu as a trading centre along the trade route between Antigo City and Suria. Eventually, after Antigo’s separation from Pretany, the city became a key centre for steel production in Antigo.
The population of Kontroga is 5,233,400 as of January 2017, making it one of the most populous cities in Antigo.
The area of today’s Kontroga was settled by an Early Antigoan Jen tribe from the 7th century BC. However, for unknown reasons, the tribe went and settled elsewhere and the area has not been inhabited for the next thousand years, apart from a few nomadic tribes.
Kontroga was established and built by Antigoan architects in the 6th century AD and was built in honour of the then king Mark Dagermu, who requested for ‘a magnificent city built between the two lakes’. The name "Krondernburg" means "in honour of Dagermu". Considered a beautiful city then, it is also named "Krodanga", meaning "honoured and beautified". The king is known to visit the city many times upon its completion and established his own castle there - Bongdaddle Castle (or Berndaundon Castle) - which he often stayed in. Although tradition stated that Mark Dagermu died peacefully in the castle, some Antigoan scholars later stated that he actually died when he was captured by bandits along the way to Kotronga, and his body is purposely placed in the palace to avoid suspicions, according to other accounts. This claim, however, has never been verified.
The city then flourished in trade under Inaran and Pretanic rule, and became an important economic and cultural centre. It became the capital of the Kontroga Shire in 1301. From 1455, however, under Pretanic King Gabriel II, he appointed corrupted Cuppa leaders to rule the city and the Shire of Kontroga. Left unchecked by subsequent Pretanic kings, Kontroga became infamous as the centre of commercial prostitution for traders. Pretany's first recognised duke, Conradion Marlow, in his efforts to purge corrupt leaders in Antigo, ironically had a harem of prostitutes in Bongdaddle Castle. The city was eventually destroyed in a large fire in 1622, killing at least 40000 citizens. Antigoan historians later point this incident as 'great divine punishment against the foreigners exploiting our land'. With the city largely destroyed, it became ignored by subsequent Pretanic kings and is only re-populated by the poor or lower-class Antigoans. The capital of the Shire was moved to Taparokagrad after the incident and was never rebuilt until Surian occupation.
In 1672, the Shire of Kontroga, along with the city, was conquered by Surian forces, one of the great losses under Pretanic King Lagbard. When vast deposits of gold, tin and other minerals were found near the city in 1678 after Surians started surveying the area, Suria then started to rebuild the city. After Kontroga returned to Pretanic rule, the city began to rise in prominence in the Pretanic kingdom. Subsequent Pretanic kings started to develop the city, and the living conditions of the city generally improved. With the rise of Catholicism in Antigo, especially in Kontroga, churches were built in the city. Some former Cuppa temples were converted to churches as well. The population of the city increased with more Antigoan Catholics immigrating to the city.
During the Antigoan National Revolution, the Pretanic forces threatened to burn down the city in defence if the ANLA marched into the city. However, the Antigoans in the city started to arm themselves against the Pretanic troops in the city and launched a campaign to dispose of all flammable materials. The ANLA launched an attack on the city on 23 March 1935, starting the Battle of Kontroga. The battle was quite intense; the railway station kept changing hands about seven times until Pretanic troops burned the station down. By June, the ANLA managed to occupy about 90% of the city. Although there was a strong counterattack launched on 23 June, the poor organisation and some Surian assistance helped secure the ANLA’s hold on the city. After the Pretanic Commander of Kontroga surrendered, the ANLA managed to remove the remaining Pretanic troops and occupy the city on 10 July 1935. Kontroga became a key base for the ANLA before its subsequent invasions of other areas of Antigo. Although the ANLA managed to secure victory over the city, much of Kontroga is destroyed from the battle. Under Briarmack rule, in 1955, the government started to rebuild the city as part of its economic plans. New residential areas have been built, and a new tram system was established in the city. The city was repopulated when the Antigoan government started to move some of the rural citizens from nearby villages to the city. By 1960s, much of Surian Kontroga has been removed and replaced by apartments. By 1952, Ganeukson Metals started its operations in the city, and in less than 20 years, the factory became the largest steel mill in Antigo. Opening new steel mines in the duchy, an intensive rail network was built to link the mines to the factory. In the 1970s, reports show that steel production in the city reached about 7 million tons annually.
During Sasuke Volkman’s visit to Antigo in 1986, a university, today known as the Kontroga University of Technology and Information, was established in his honour. A tram network was built in 1987 to help facilitate the transport connections in the city. In 1989, over the shortage of rations in the city, some 500 workers organised a strike, which was brutally suppressed. The then CEO of Ganuekson Metals committed suicide while the 500 were arrested and sent for reeducation. The city was under lock-down for a week after the strikes, after which operations resumed. In 1992, there was a train collision near the central station, which led to 11 deaths (including the stationmaster) and 30 others injured. The remaining workers were stripped from their posts for negligence. The damaged platforms still exist in the station and they were never repaired.
In 2001, during M. P. Briarmack’s visit to the city, he announced plans to repair the roads and walkways, and also accepted a proposal to build a metro network in the city. The roads and the walkways started refurbishments from 2005, while a metro line from Scheuntal to Luzwallen started construction works. However, the metro line was never completed since 2007 after the shortage of funds. There were plans to build a new skyscraper for future overseas offices, but these were shelved over costs concerns. In 2015, the Briarmack government pledged about 300 billion yanas to curb pollution in the city and clean up Lake Tronga, which is by then very polluted due to mining activities near the lake. However, measures such as limiting waste produced have restricted the mining activities, hence its measures are temporarily suspended since 2017 until better measures have been found.
Kontroga is the administrative centre for Kontroga duchy. The municipal chief executive is the Mayor, who also takes the position as Head of Kontroga Administration and Affairs. The city’s legislative body is the Administrative Council of Kontroga City led by the mayor himself. There are a few de facto consulates in Kontroga of the following nations - Beaumontan and Belphenia.
Kontroga has a continental climate with intermittent precipitation. Generally, the months from November to March are quite cold compared to the other months.
Kontroga is at the junction of two key rail lines in Antigo. It is connected to a key trade route and many other highways.